SharePoint Foundation 2010 on Windows 7
This MSDN article describes in detail how to install SharePoint Foundation 2010 for development purposes on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. The purpose of this post is to focus on the SharePoint installation on Window 7 only and clear out all the details for the other operating systems.
- Download SharePoint Foundation 2010 x64 for free. Note that there is no x86 version of SharePoint Server, so don’t bother setting it up if you have a 32-bit machine.
- Create a new folder “C:\SharePointFiles” and copy “SharePointFoundation.exe” to it.
- Start command prompt, change directory to C:\SharePointFiles and run the following command to extract the “SharePointFoundation.exe” to C:\SharePointFiles
- Open C:\SharePointFiles\files\Setup\config.xml, add a new <Setting> tag under the <Configuration> element, then save the file. Make sure you copy the below element as is since all of the text in the configuration file is case-sensitive.
<Setting Id=”AllowWindowsClientInstall” Value=”True”/>
- Install the following Prerequisites:
- Microsoft FilterPack 2.0: C:\SharePointFiles\PrerequisiteInstallerFiles\FilterPack\FilterPack.msi
- Microsoft Sync Framework: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=141237
- SQL Server Native Client: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=123718
- Windows Identity Foundation: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/7/2/D72FD747-69B6-40B7-875B-C2B40A6B2BDD/Windows6.1-KB974405-x64.msu
- WCF Hotfix (KB971831): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166231
- ADO.NET Data Services Update for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to enable REST-based data services: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/3/C/13CBF47A-15D0-4237-ABFC-ED6E3E3A6520/Windows6.1-KB976127-v6-x64.msu
- Enable the required windows features by running this batch file: http://cid-e38f9fc6490b29d9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Scripts/EnableSPWinFeatures.bat
- Restart your computer to complete the changes that you made to Windows Features.
- Install SharePoint 2010
- Run Setup.exe under C:\SharePointFiles
- Select standalone (Windows 7 can’t be used for production deployments of SharePoint 2010 and it’s recommended that you use Standalone only)
- After the installation is complete, you will be prompted to start the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard.
- After a SharePoint solution (.wsp file) is deployed, it recycles the application pool. To improve the initial page load times, set the optimizeCompilations property of the <compilation> tag in your web.config file (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\web.config) to true.
SharePoint Designer 2010 is also free and can help you better design your SharePoint site(s). You can download it here.